Friday, March 13, 2009

We Live Here Now---Adventure #1

DISCLAIMER: This is a long post because I don't know how to do the slide shows! One day I'll learn and then these will be more manageable to read. But until then-please accept my apology for being a blogging dunce.

So, remember the awe I mentioned in the previous post-this place captures it in its entirety. The RS President of Mom and Dad's ward mentioned the little treasure trove to us when she stopped by to visit yesterday, and we decided to take an unpacking break and head out to see it. With the help of Pam Dickie (???) and my handy dandy phone (it has GPS), we hit the road.

When we arrived at this place, all of us had teers in our eyes. Dad may say he hates the water, but I've come to the conclusion that is true only if he has to be IN it. Even he welled up as we took our first glance at the wonder that is Boulevard Park. This place is literally about 15 minutes from the apartment. UNBELIEVEABLE.

Welcome to the San Juan Islands. Visible here is Lummi Island with Orcas behind it. These are the islands where I hope to work once my degree is obtained. I cannot describe the feelings I had as I looked head on at what has been my dream since I was ten years old. But I can promise, I was not dry-eyed.

Aren't they soooo cute???? It is neat to see Dad as happy as I've seen him in a REALLY long time. And Mom, while freezing, is completely enchanted as well. I LOVE it. This was the first time since we left that we weren't teery because we missed our Drapers.

"My island" to quote Braveheart. Well, a couple of them anyway. One day soon that will be our adventure. No more distance pictures. We'll take a little ferry ride over there. CANNOT wait!

The water is really clear. Believe it or not, there's about eight or nine feet of water on top of those rocks.

I couldn't be that close and not let all of my senses be indulged (okay---I didn't taste it, but I did see, hear, and smell, so touching had to happen too)!

LOVE this picture of Dad. The pier I enjoyed walking. It was such a beautiful day! I couldn't resist. After all, I can walk long distances and still be able to breathe here. I so don't take that miracle for granted and am determined to enjoy every opportunity available.

As Dad said, "Super cool barnacled rock!"

Man I loved this place. And for those of you who aren't near an ocean or have never heard the sound that I constantly lamented missing...this video is for you. Ignore the supreme nerd narrating, and just listen to the music of Puget Sound.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys are loving it even though it is cold and sometimes rainy!
    Miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad everyone arrived safe and sound! Thanks for the pictures....they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooooo cool!!! We are so glad you guys are loving it up there. Too bad you left when you did though, we are planning are first trip to your old neck of the woods. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful place, beautiful people. Love to all of you from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you guys too and are so glad that you are happy. The kids loved your video Rachael. They want to visit all of you that live by the "ocean"

    ReplyDelete