Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bremerton

We went to Bremerton, and from there, took a ferry across the Puget Sound to Seattle. Bremerton is home the Naval Shipyard where Sid spends some of his weekends. Veronica and I had fun walking around and looking at all the different sights before catching the ferry.






Each of the blades on the propeller had various depictions etched all over it. This one was my favorite. I imagine that it is depicting the founder and early days of Bremerton. I was easily entertained as I stood there for at least twenty minutes looking at all the blades. I can't imagine the patience it must have taken to etch everything into that blade with such detail. The amazing thing was that every blade was done so meticulously. Can you think of how long that must have taken? I just thought it was really cool. What a nice, unique tribute to those who've gone before.





I thought this was so cute. The passing from one generation to the next hit the nostalgic bone in me I guess. It was just sweet. There's something about the older man passing the aircraft carrier to the boy that makes my heart all warm. I really don't know why it struck so hard, but it did. Hopefully you'll understand. If not, chalk it up to a sentimental Rachael.


There were also some fountains at the Shipyard. For those of you who visited Sea World when you were down here, the fountains in Bremerton are very similar to those that were going off during the Viva show. The water shot over head from one block to the next and bounced all over the place. It was a little cold to stand under them (or beside them) for too long, but it was fun nonetheless.
Veronica was having way too much fun snapping pictures of the tourists (namely me), so she took her camera with her EVERYWHERE. It wasn't as if we didn't have mine, but oh well, I guess the need to point out that I'd turned into one of the very tourists I always laugh at was something to commemorate.

Just in case you couldn't tell it was a Shipyard in any of the other pictures. :) My regret is that I wasn't able to get a shot of the WWII aircraft carriers that were at the entrance to the Shipyard. By modern-day standards, they were quite small, but still pretty cool to see. Being Dad's daughter, a love for history has taken hold of me, so we had fun talking about those for quite a while. I don't know if you can call a ship used in warfare "cute" but I can't think of another adjective. I guess quaint would work. But anyway, the yachts weren't that bad either. It reminded me of very early Annapolis memories. Being that I don't have a ton of MD reminders stored in my brain, I treasure what I do have, and it was fun re-visiting that memory. While these aren't as majestic as the sailboats and yachts there, it was a good enough association for my brain to bring up Annapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment