So, here's another insight to me for those of you who are still in the process of getting to know me. I am very much into music...singing, listening, playing-whatever. It is a HUGE part of my life, and when I get a little down, music has the power to soothe my soul like nothing else can.
In my early childhood, I was blessed to have sisters with the voices of angels. Amber and Catherine were always singing something. My sister Kim played the clarinet. My brother...well, he was the athlete. My father was the biggest fan for all of us...whether we were musically inclined or sports minded. He had a little bit of everything to deal with amongst the four of us. But, I give the credit to my mother for teaching us music almost before we could read...and her father for loving music so much that it spilled over to her. To this day, my earliest memories of music are centered in our MD house's music room.
I can remember Mom trying to teach Dad how to sing. And every time, it went something like this.
Mom: "A little higher Dear." Whilst plunking a piano note.
Dad: "Mimimimimimimimi." In an unnaturally and somewhat frightening falsetto.
Mom: "A little lower Dear." Whilst plunking on the same exact piano note.
Repeat this about 100 times.
The memory still makes me smile. But I have other memories as well. Catherine would sit with me for hours in that most treasured of rooms and introduce me to various church artists while either playing on the piano or her guitar. I can remember getting the 8-track tape (yes, people who didn't know...I AM that old) of The Little Mermaid soundtrack and Catherine playing it over and over again while we sang along. Until she went off to college, she was my musical magician/hero. How I will always love and treasure her for the role she played in my childhood in introducing me to music.
As I finished up elementary school in a new state, far away from my musically gifted sisters, I determined to remember the lessons they had taken the time to teach me. So, along with constantly singing, I learned to play the violin. As I entered middle school, I wanted to be just like my musical mommy and play the flute, which I still do to this day. The piano has always, and probably will always, be my nemesis, but I'm now getting to the point where I can play simplified hymns, And, my newest project....
I am happy to report that I can play three whole chords (G, C, and D). And I can even switch between them (most of the time). So...here's looking forward to learning this new musical talent. Hopefully it won't take me as long as it has to get some of the symplified hymns under my belt. :D
Thank you Amber, Catherine, Kim, MOM, and Da for passing on a love of music to me. It is a gift that I shall always treasure from you guys. I'm so blessed to have you in my life.
Chubbuck Days Parade
8 years ago

As we are YOU!!! xoxoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAnd now B carries it with him too. Love you back.
ReplyDelete