Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day on the Island.

So, come summertime, one of my favorite events happens. Anybody who truly knows me will not be surprised that this event is ALL about marine mammal happenings. But for those of you just getting to know me, here's a little bit of helpful information.

Ever since I was eleven and sitting in a theater in San Antonio, TX, I have been completely in love with Killer Whales. This adoring obsession is courtesy of a little movie called FREE WILLY. That's right people, I'm a child of the Free Willy era...and mostly proud to admit it. I was completely proud to admit it until the last one came out this past year. Now, just to clarify, I'm not hating on Bindi Irwin (who I happen to think is completely adorable), but I am totally hating on the CG whales that didn't even swim correctly. So...not going to step on that soapbox. But...see for yourself.



VS.















Anyway, returning to the point. I adore Orcas...so much in fact that they are the main reason I uprooted my life in TX and moved 2,800 miles away to the beautiful place I now call home in Northwestern Washington State.

And every summer, a group of three different pods join up in what is sometimes referred to as Superpod, which now numbers close to 90 whales. And....I go spend hours on an island in the hopes of catching a glimpse.

Well, this summer was no exception. I went to the island multiple times, and only got to behold these gorgeous creatures twice from REALLY far away. But...I did get to see them. Which is a miracle in and of itself.

One of the times I went, I was privileged to get to play tour guide to a couple friends who had never been over before. And we had a blast. So...here are a few pictures from that great day.

REALLY windy (and freezing) ferry ride.



The relative warmth inside the ferry.


View from the ferry as the DENSE fog was burning off (which then resulted in a BEAUTIFUL day)


My friend enjoying the sights. This may have been gazing off towards the whales (which were much too far away to photograph).


And...as we were leaving, some kind tourists took a picture of the Three Adventuring Amigos...or would it be Amigas?




No comments:

Post a Comment